Animal Care Intern
Fulfilling an Animal Care Internship with Luvin Arms Animal Sanctuary will give you the unique opportunity to learn from and interact with our residents at the sanctuary, gain knowledge of farmed animals and their behaviors and needs, and learn the basics of running a sanctuary. You will work with like-minded individuals to help farmed animals in need while gaining valuable professional and personal experience. Your responsibilities will primarily be in the areas of animal feeding and watering, contributing to sanctuary security, and assisting with animal health care.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Animal feeding and watering
- Daily cleaning of barns and enclosures, and pastures when needed
- Maintaining neat and organized work and storage spaces
- Ensuring all tools and other items are put away at the end of the day
- Assisting with animal health checks when possible
- Animal monitoring for special needs residents and residents in quarantine
- Additional non-animal related tasks as needed
- Good animal behavior observation skills
- Ability to work in harsh/all weather conditions
- Ability to perform strenuous physical labor and lifting
- Must be able to follow detailed instructions and meet animal care schedules
- Ability to work well with a variety of people
- Ability to work independently
- Very reliable and dependable, with good communication skills
- Commitment to Luvin Arms animal care policies and standards
- Commitment to Luvin Arms organizational programs and goals
- Flexibility and openness to a multitude of tasks
- Volunteer commitment of 24-40 hours per week
- 2 month minimum commitment is required with the option to extend.
- See the schedule below for more information.
- Weekend and holiday availability is required
- Must have reliable transportation, a valid driver’s license, and be at least 18 years old.
- Luvin Arms cannot provide housing or living/travel assistance.
Reports to: Animal Care Manager & Caregivers
Compensation: Unpaid, volunteer position
1st Term: Jan-Feb
2nd Term: Mar-Apr
3rd Term: May-Jun
4th Term: Jul-Aug
5th Term: Sep-Oct
6th Term: Nov-Dec
Terms for Care Internships begin at the beginning of their respective month, and last through the end of the second month in that term. Please indicate which term(s) you’d like to be considered for when applying. Applications will be considered relative to the term start date.
Interested in getting involved with Luvin Arms but unable to commit to a job or internship? Volunteer with us!